Sunday, June 28, 2009

Meredith's Runner.

I have always admired the table runners made by Twiddletail and when she made a pattern in a PDF file, I saved it away as a favourite for when I needed to whip up something special. I actually finished this in May but the lady who now has it on her dining room table reads my blog so it was hush hush, top secret. Meredith is such a lovely friend, I meet her through my Mothers Group set up by the local Early Childhood Nurse when Grace was 8 weeks old, so we have passed 6 years in our friendship, lots of cups of coffee and tea and "mummy snacks". She has been of invaluable assistance in helping Daz at Uni too this semester, being an ex primary school teacher herself. So, I made her this runner to say thanks. Thanks Meredith!

I actually had the fabric sitting in the stash purchased back here on our Sydney spree! Just waiting for the right project.

I didn't want to use wadding as it would be too thick. And I didn't have enough pellon, so I got crafty and used some flanelette I had one of my tubs of fabric. Except it wasn't long enough, so I butted two pieces up together and zig zagged them together and wolah, perfect.

Quilting was a simple straight stitch about 1/4th in from the seam. My walking foot was out of action so I used my normal foot with success. Nice and simple quilting both starting and ending outside the edge of where the binding was to be, so once again no loose ends to tie.

I pieced the back too just for some interest.

This shot and the very first one with the vase of flowers where taken on Meredith's table. It looks right at home.

11 comments:

Emma said...

Lovely work, Helen! Great fabrics.

AJ said...

Oh Nice! I like this one!

thehummingcat said...

righto, I'll be having one of them too thanks!

Shari said...

This is just so lovely. Great for a special friend! I'm sure she loves it.

Cass said...

I love it Helen, great colours

willywagtail said...

Very inspiring. I love the way you used what you had for the filling.

Natalie said...

Just beautiful Helen.

Anina said...

Oh! It turned out beautifully!

Trisha said...

It looks great! What a nice gift.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! What a beautiful gift!

Meredith said...

It would be remiss of me not to say hello and add that Helen, I LOVE IT!!

And the committee who sit around that table once a month - and especially the formidable home economics teacher - all love it too. (It's high praise indeed from the home ec teacher!!!)

And it will definitely be on the table in a couple of weeks time when my husband's BIG BOSS (top of the tree in WA) comes for lunch!
Mxxx